The Ophthalmology department provides a tertiary care service for complex eye disease in children and has strong clinical and research links with our partners in the UCL Institute of Child Health. The team also perform Vitreo-Retinal surgery.
The Ophthalmology department was the first in the country to establish paediatric ophthalmology as a subspecialty, recognising that disorders affecting children’s eyes are frequently very different to those affecting adults.
In 2014 GOSH became one of only two centres in the world that performs the lens saving procedure for ROP called endoscopic vitrectomy. GOSH now carries out over 95% of all cases of ROP in the UK and is the National Centre for ROP retinal detachment surgery with ground-breaking outcomes .
In 2017 GOSH developed a new test to help diagnose and predict a range of serious childhood eye conditions. The gene panel test, known as Oculome, screens for mutations in more than 400 genes known to lead to eye disease.
Conditions we treat
- Peters Anomoly
- Genetic disorders of the cornea and anterior segment
- Neuro-ophthalmology and strabismus
- Nystagmus (Kestenbaum surgery is performed)
- Cerebral Visual Impairment
- Optic neuritis
- Optic neuropathies including Lebers Hereditary Optic Neuropathy and Dominant Optic Atrophy
- Ophthalmic monitoring for brain tumors including Craniopharyngioma, optic pathway gliomas etc
- Inherited eye diseases such as retinal dystrophies, and metabolic conditions that have associated eye findings
- Early Onset Retinal dystrophies
- Usher Syndrome
- Metabolic syndromes
We also perform Vitreo-Retinal surgery treating:
- Retinopathy of Prematurity (laser, anti-VEGF, and surgery)
- Familial Exudative Vitreo-Retinopathy
- Stickler Syndrome and other collagenopathies
- Coats Disease
- Persistent Foetal Vasculature (PHPV)
- Paediatric retinal detachment
- Coloboma related retinal detachment
- Lid Malposition
- Lacrimal disorders
- Craniofacial deformity
Refer your child for treatment
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.