Mr Martin Kostolny has been a consultant at the Cardiothoracic Unit Great Ormond Street Hospital since March 2006.
After graduating from Medical school at the Comenius University, he trained at the Heart Centre at the Children’s Hospital in Bratislava, the German Heart Centre in Munich and Great Ormond Street Hospital.
He has been Head of the clinical service for Cardiothoracic surgery since 2015. He regularly lectures at international meetings and is the member of several professional societies.
He is author and co-author in more than 70 manuscripts and book chapters.
Mr Kostolny has been also supporting congenital heart programs in the UK and abroad and operates there on regular basis.
- Neonatal and complex infant surgery
- Surgery for CCTGA; PA/VSD MAPCA’s, Aortic valve repair
- Grown-up congenital heart surgery
• Complex unifoculisation in pulmonary atresia with multifocal blood supply
• Surgery for congenitally corrected transposition
- Diploma at the Comenius University Bratislava title MUDr (Medicinae Universae Doctor)
- Diploma specialising in the field of surgery of the first degree, Institute for Further Education of Health Care Professionals, Bratislava, Slovakia
- Cardiac Surgeon (CCST equivalent) (Facharzt) Bavarian Medical Association
- MD at the Technical University Munich
- Postgraduate training at the Children’s Cardiac Centre, Bratislava, The German Heart Centre, Germany and GOSH
- Medical School Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia MD 1993
- Medical school University Vienna, Austria 1990-1991
- Master degree in General Surgery, 1996
- Cardiothoracic surgery board exam, 2003
- Technical University Munich, MD 2006
- AATS - Member
- European Association of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS)- Member
- The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland- Member
- WSPCHS – governing council
- European Congenital Heart surgeons association
- GMC full registration (6072501) and since 18th May 2006 Specialist register (Cardiothoracic surgery)
- Aortic valve repair – currently PhD at Slovak Medical University, Bratislava
- 3D reconstruction and impact on decision making in DORV repair
- User-Centred AI for high efficiency hospital theatre and bed scheduling (grant co-investigator)
News & Publications
Jensen, H.A., Ntsinjana, H.N., Bull, C., Brown, K., Taylor, A.M., Kostolny, M., Dominguez, T., de Leval. M., Tsang, V.T., 2015. Performance monitoring of the arterial switch operation: a moving target. Eur j Cardiothorac Surg.
Jensen, H., Muthialu, N., Furci, B., Yates, R., Kostolny, M., Tsang, V., 2014. Direct implantation of scimitar vein to the left atrium via sternotomy: a reappraisal. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 45(6) pp. 1066-9.
Mimic, B., Brown, K.L., Oswal, N., Simmonds, J., Hsia, T.Y., Tsang, V.T., De Leval, M.R., Kostolny, M., 2014. Neither age at repair nor previous palliation affects outcome in tetralogy of Fallot repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 45(1) pp 92-8.
Gomide, M., Furci, B., Mimic, B., Brown, K.L., Hsia, T.Y., Yates, R., Kostolny, M., de Leval, M.R., Tsang, V.T., 2013. Rapid 2-stage Norwood I for high-risk hypoplastic left heart syndrome and variants. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 146(5) pp. 1146-51.
Refer your child to Mr Martin Kostolny
Use the form below to refer your child for treatment. A member of our team will be in touch within 2 working days.